Success can be a nebulous concept. What one business owner considers success might only be a step on the path to success for you. What are some of the guidelines that you can use to foster the kinds of planning that achieve the success you want?
Tom Morris—a pioneer of business thinking—proposed the 7 Cs of Success. These seven Cs speak to how successful people achieve excellence, regardless of field or industry. Let’s look at these seven Cs and you can apply them when planning for your successful future.
Let’s take a look at each “C” below:
- A clear CONCEPTION of what you want, a goal clearly imagined The very first C speaks to having defined goals. Goals are the foundation of all future success. You may have goals for your future success, and you should make those goals SMART (Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic, and Time-bound). Once you’ve done that, you can adequately act.
- An emotional COMMITMENT to the importance of what you’re doing An emotional commitment to your cause is a major aspect of successful planning. Like most people, you likely make decisions and act based on your emotions and gut reactions, in tandem with logic and analytics. This can be a good thing. If you can harness the emotional side of planning, it can encourage you to move the planning process quickly and efficiently.
- A strong CONFIDENCE that you can attain your goals Laying out all the wants and needs you have might cause you to ask, “How can I possibly do all of this?” One way to accomplish even the most ambitious goals is to have a written road map of what to do, by when, and by whom. Writing goals down can make them more manageable and give you the confidence to formulate strategies to tackle them.
- A focused CONCENTRATION on what it takes to reach those goals Planning for future success is more of a marathon than a sprint. It’s normal if you’ve ever found yourself focused on fending off each day’s problems and postponing the future. This is where it can be prudent to call on expert advisors who can focus on bigger picture planning items to keep you concentrated on both your present operations and your future goals.
- A stubborn CONSISTENCY in pursuing your vision Having a consistent planning process can increase the likelihood of successfully pursing your vision of a successful future. When unexpected hurdles arise, having a consistent planning process can give you the means to keep planning moving toward achieving your vision for yourself and your company.
- A good CHARACTER to guide and keep yourself on a proper course Planning for future success hinges on trust. From the key employees in your company to any outside advisors you work with, you should be able to trust the people who play a role in achieving your goals. Ask yourself, “Are the people working for me doing everything they can to keep me on track?”
- A CAPACITY TO ENJOY the process along the way Planning for future success can be challenging. It’s possible that you’ve never engaged in this type of planning before, which can make you reluctant to move forward. To make planning enjoyable, you should set realistic, achievable, and actionable goals. Usually, these goals involve growing the business and its cash flow. You can then establish the means of achieving growth in value and cash flow. Enjoyment and satisfaction occur as you see your planning and implementation efforts bear fruit.
The seven Cs of success all share a common theme. They give you control: control over your present successes and control over how you pursue future success. If you’d like to discuss how you can maintain the most control over your future and implement these seven Cs in your planning, please contact us today.
Reference “The Stoic Art of Living: An Interview With Philosopher and Pioneering Business Thinker Tom Morris.” Daily Stoic, November 3, 2019. https://dailystoic.com/tom-morris-interview/.